Hey all I’m back with another pattern.
Let me just start by saying this little guy actually started off as a bee but as I knit him up at looked at the finished toy and realised he looked way more like a teeny weeny hedgehog and so Harry was born. When I say teeny this guy is only 1.5″ long, I mean honestly who doesn’t need a mini hedgehog in their life? Oh yeah and since he is so tiny he takes lest than half an hour to make, seriously he took me about 20min and I’m not a fast knitter. I knit one up without the safety eyes for my one year old and its a great little Waldorf style toy for him to play.
So now your dying to make one (or a million) aren’t you, and you’re imagining all the people you can hand gift them to? Well let the yarn see the needles….
Yarn weight: Double knitting/ worsted weight
Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through
Finished measurements: approx 1.5″ long and 1″ wide
Click here for my abbreviation list
Remember never use toy safety eyes on a toy intended for a child under 3 years old, they are a potential choking hazard, please embroider on any features so they cannot be easily removed by little fingers or gnashers!
Please click here for my copyright info
Hedgehog Knitting Pattern
CO 6 in dark brown yarn
2. *kfb* along (12 sts)
4. *kfb, k1 * along (18 sts)
6. *kfb, k2* along (24 sts)
7-11. Garter stitch for 5 rows
12. *k2tog, k2* along (18 sts)
Change to light brown yarn
14. *k2tog, k1* along (12 sts)
16. *k2tog* along (6 sts)
Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail. Use scrap yarn to embroider on a nose and eyes or insert safety eyes at this point. Use the long yarn tail to mattress stitch together the row ends, stopping 3/4 way to stuff and then continue close the remaining stitches. Weave in any loose yarn ends.
That’s it you’re done. How easy was that?
- If you want some feet or ears on your little guy you can use the light brown yarn to embroider them on using a french knot, awesome tutorial here.
- Knit these little guys up in loads of different colours to give as party favours at a kids party or as classmate gifts.
- Add a little ribbon bow on the head for a girl hedgehog or knit one using the bow section from my Mr & Mrs Tasche Pattern.